At Kirk Market, we understand that you care how information about you is used and shared. We want you to be confident that your data is safe and secure with us, and understand how we use it to offer you a better and more personalised shopping experience.
The data controller is Kirk Market (referred to in this policy as “we” or “us”).
We are committed to doing the right thing when it comes to how we collect, use and protect your personal data. That’s why we’ve developed this privacy and cookies policy (“Policy”), which:
- Sets out the types of personal data that we collect
- Explains how and why we collect and use your personal data
- Explains when and why we will share personal data within Kirk Market and with other organisations; and
- Explains the rights and choices you have when it comes to your personal data
We offer a wide range of products and services, so we want you to be clear about what this Policy covers. This Policy applies to you if you use our services (referred to in this Policy as “our Services”). Using our Services means:
- Shopping with us in-store, over the phone, or online or otherwise using any of the websites (“our Websites”) or mobile applications (“our Mobile Apps”) where this Policy is posted; or
- Being a member of the Kirk Market loyalty programme (“MarketCard”)
- This Policy also applies if you contact us or we contact you about our Services
Parts of this Policy also apply if you use our in-store pharmacy services.
Parts of this Policy also apply to our store CCTV systems where they capture footage of you.
Other parts of our business and other Kirk Group companies may need to collect and use personal data to provide you with their products and services and for certain other purposes. Please note that they have their own privacy policies that explain how they use your personal data.
This section tells you what personal data we may collect from you when you use our Services and what other personal data we may receive from other sources.
When You Register For Our Services, You May Provide Us With:
- Your personal details, including your postal and billing addresses, email addresses, phone numbers and date of birth and title
- Information relating to your membership of any of our rewards programs
- Your account login details, such as your username and the password that you have chosen
When You Shop With Us In-Store, Online Or Browse Our Websites Or Use Our Mobile Apps, We May Collect:
- Information about your in-store and online purchases (for example, what you have bought, when and where you bought it and how you paid for it)
- Information about your online browsing behaviour on our Websites and Mobile Apps and information about when you click on one of our adverts (including those shown on other organisations’ websites)
- Information about any devices you have used to access our Services (including the make, model and operating system, IP address, browser type and mobile device identifiers)
When You Use MarketCard To Shop With Us, We May Collect:
- Transaction information, including your online transactions and also in-store purchases you earn MarketCard points for and how you use your MarketCard rewards within Kirk Market or our Partners.
When You Contact Us Or We Contact You Or You Take Part In Promotions, Competitions, Surveys Or Reviews About Our Services, We May Collect:
- Personal data you provide about yourself anytime you contact us about our Services (for example, your name, username and contact details), including by phone, written, email or post or when you speak with us through social media
- Details of the emails and other digital communications we send to you that you open, including any links in them that you click on
- Your feedback and contributions to customer surveys or reviews
When You Visit Our Store:
- Footage of you may be recorded on our CCTV systems
When You Use Our Pharmacy:
- Personal data including your prescription details, medical history, payment details and contact/address information
Other Sources Of Personal Data
We may also use personal data from other sources, such as specialist companies that supply information, online media channels, our Retail Partners and public registers. For example, this other personal data helps us to:
- Manage your MarketCard account (including the allocation of MarketCard points);
- Review and improve the accuracy of the data we hold; and
- Improve and measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications, including online advertising.
This section explains in detail how and why we use personal data. We use personal data to:
Make Our Services Available To You
This means that processing your personal data allows us to:
- Manage the accounts you hold with us, including your MarketCard account
- Process your orders and refunds. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We need to process your personal data so that we can manage your customer accounts, provide you with the goods and services you want to buy and help you with any orders and refunds you may ask for.
Manage And Improve Our Day-To-Day Operations
- Help to develop and improve our product range, services, stores, information technology systems, knowledgebase and the way we communicate with you. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We rely on the use of personal data to carry out market research and internal research and development, and to improve our information technology systems (including security) and our product range, services and stores. This allows us to better serve you as our customer.
- Detect and prevent fraud or other crime. Why do we process your personal data in this way? It is important for us to monitor how our Services are used to detect and prevent fraud, other crimes and the misuse of services. This helps us to make sure that you can safely use our Services.
Personalise Your Kirk Market Experience
- Use your online browsing behaviour as well as your online and in-store purchases (including MarketCard transactions) to help us better understand you as a customer and provide you with personalised offers and services. Why do we process your personal data in this way? Looking at your browsing behaviour and purchases allows us to personalise our offers and services for you. This helps us meet your needs as a customer.
- Provide you with relevant marketing communications (including by email, post or online advertising), relating to our products and services, and those of our suppliers, Retail Partners and the Kirk Group. As part of this, online advertising may be displayed on websites across the Kirk Group and on other organisations’ websites and online media channels (including for example through Google Ads). We may also measure the effectiveness of our marketing communications and those of our suppliers and Retail Partners. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We want to ensure that we provide you with marketing communications, including online advertising, that are relevant to your interests. To achieve this we also measure your responses to marketing communications relating to products and services we offer, which also means we can offer you products and services that better meet your needs as a customer.
- You can change your marketing choices, both when you register with us, and at any time after that.
- You also have choices when it comes to online advertising. We set out below your choices when it comes to cookies, and how you can control your online behavioural advertising preferences.
Contact And Interact With You
- Contact you about our Services, for example by phone, email or post or by responding to social media posts that you have directed at us. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We want to better serve you as our customer so we use personal data to provide clarification or assistance in response to your communications
- Manage promotions and competitions you take part in, including those we run with our suppliers and Retail Partners. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We need to process your personal data so that we can manage the promotions and competitions you choose to enter.
- Invite you to take part in and manage customer surveys, reviews and other market research activities carried out by the Kirk Group and by other organisations on our behalf. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We carry out market research to improve our Services. However, if we contact you about this, you do not have to take part in the activities. If you tell us that you do not want us to contact you for market research, we will respect this choice. This will not affect your ability to use our Services or your MarketCard.
- In order to resolve legal claims or disputes involving you or us. Why do we process your personal data in this way? For example, if you have an accident or there is an incident at our stores.
- To monitor the safety of our stores in order to prevent and detect crime and anti-social behaviour. Why do we process your personal data in this way? In order to protect our business, the local community, customers and colleagues.
- To ensure the safe delivery of healthcare services. Why do we process your personal data in this way? We need to process your personal data, including your medical information, to ensure we provide you with the highest standard of care. Your prescription information will not be used for any other purpose.
To help us to better understand you as a customer and to be able to provide you with services and marketing communications, including online advertising, that is relevant to your interests we also combine personal data we collect when you make purchases in-store using MarketCard with personal data collected from our Websites, Mobile Apps and other sources.